Home | Busch Gardens | Arroyo Seco | About Pasadena Gardens | Images | Comments
A History of the Original Busch Gardens

The Genesis...

Adolphus Busch, president of the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association, and his wife, Lilly, arrived in Pasadena in March of 1904. They arrived on the eighty-foot long, Palace Pullman car, Adolphus, and took 10 rooms at the elegant Hotel Raymond south of town. In a few weeks it was announced that Mr. Busch had acquired a property overlooking the Arroyo Seco canyon near Pasadena’s southwestern boundaries. This was a stone-faced “pile” built in 1898 designed by architect, Frederick L. Roehrig on less than 2 acres. This would be the Busch family winter home and axis for all future properties added to “Ivy Wall”. It was reported that E. H. Lockwood, purveyor of “gilt-edged realty” (and soon to become Busch’ agent in Southern California), had envisioned this particular site as the ideal garden spot and discussed the notion with Mr. Busch. It was soon requested that Mr. Lockwood get the project under way and ready the house for the Busch’s taking possession in February 1905.